Home windows PowerShell is a scripting and automation device that allows you to use instructions to handle your pc. This command line console comes pre-installed with Home windows, however typically your PC cannot discover the PowerShell.exe file. This can be as a consequence of adjustments in OS recordsdata or their areas. This information reveals 5 methods to repair when Home windows cannot discover PowerShell.exe.
Earlier than shifting on to extra focused fixes, there are some things you’ll be able to strive instantly.
- Run SFC and DISM instructions. System File Checker and DISM are two of probably the most helpful utilities you’ll be able to deploy to determine broken or corrupted system recordsdata. It additionally routinely resolves any issues discovered.
- Restart your PC. Restarting your PC is a standard method to repair the issue and should enable you discover PowerShell.exe once more in your system.
- Create a brand new consumer account. When you have issues along with your present consumer account, we advocate creating a brand new account. When you have a number of accounts in your PC, swap to a brand new account and verify if the difficulty persists.
1. Ensure that Home windows PowerShell is enabled
The simplest method to verify that PowerShell is enabled is to go to (Home windows Options) in (Management Panel) and search for the PowerShell entry. The choice is disabled if the checkbox in entrance of the file shouldn’t be marked. Comply with the steps under to allow it.
- Press win + R. Press the important thing to launch the run app.
- Please enter
- Choose (Flip Home windows options on or off) within the left panel of the newly opened window.
- Discover “Home windows PowerShell” within the checklist of entries and click on the checkbox to allow it.
- If this function is already enabled, disable it and restart your PC. After rebooting, observe the steps once more to re-enable the entry and restart the service.
Suggestions: Discover ways to open recordsdata in Home windows utilizing solely the command immediate.
2. Launch PowerShell from File Explorer or Run.
You’ll be able to straight entry the .EXE recordsdata of any Home windows utility utilizing File Explorer. Run Command is one other method to launch a Home windows app with out clicking on the executable. Use these two strategies to entry the PowerShell.exe file and see in the event that they work.
- press win + R. Launch the Run app.
- Please enter
- Or use File Explorer. Proper-click the (Begin) menu and click on Apps.
- Navigate to this folder utilizing the handle bar on the high: “C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0”.
- Find the executable file at that location and double-click it.
Suggestions: Powershell retains popping up on startup? Study what to do when you’ve got this drawback in your Home windows PC.
3. Create a PowerShell shortcut
If the PowerShell.exe file was just lately moved from its authentic folder, Home windows can not open it as a result of it doesn’t know its actual location. Even when you have not moved the recordsdata, it is a good suggestion to recreate the executable shortcuts.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder the place you moved the PowerShell.exe file.
- Proper click on on “powershell” and choose “Present extra choices”.
- Choose Ship to -> Desktop (create shortcut).
- Exit Explorer and open the “PowerShell.exe” shortcut in your desktop.
4. Launch PowerShell utilizing Command Immediate
You should use Command Immediate as an alternative of Home windows PowerShell as a result of many of the performance is similar. Nonetheless, in the event you actually need to use PowerShell, you’ll be able to launch it utilizing Command Immediate.
- Sort Command Immediate in Home windows Search, right-click on the very best consequence, and choose Run as administrator.
- In Command Immediate, kind
begin powershellPress enter To begin it..
5. Replace Home windows PowerShell
Home windows ought to replace PowerShell routinely, however as a consequence of a glitch or gradual web connection, the replace might not full. Subsequently, we advocate that you just manually replace Home windows PowerShell to see if the difficulty is resolved.
- Click on (Search) within the taskbar, kind “Microsoft Retailer” and click on the very best match.
- On the high of the display, use the search perform to seek out PowerShell.
- Choose “Replace” or “Get” on the primary utility that pops up. Await the obtain and set up to finish.
- Strive opening “PowerShell.exe” after the set up or replace course of.
If these fixes do not resolve the difficulty and you continue to cannot entry Powershell.exe, you in all probability must carry out a system restore. Doing this can return your PC to a earlier state when every little thing was working tremendous, reverting any adjustments to the registry or Home windows apps.
To make use of this function, you could first create a restore level or allow system safety in order that the system creates automated restore factors that you should use to undo your adjustments.
Suggestions: Do not need to see updates in your Home windows PC? Discover ways to conceal them utilizing PowerShell.
If I haven’t got PowerShell, can I obtain it?
sure. PowerShell 7.3 and later releases may be discovered on the Microsoft Retailer website or the Home windows Retailer utility.
Is my PC OK with out PowerShell?
With PowerShell disabled, your PC will as an alternative use Command Immediate to speak along with your system. PowerShell is a greater possibility (typically) for working instructions, however your PC is ok with out it.
Picture credit score: Pexels. All screenshots by Farhad Pashaei.